St. Stephen with St. Julian welcomes you
Welcome to the parish of St. Stephen with St. Julian in St. Albans. We hope this website will give you an introduction to both churches and to the parish. We hope you will join us in worship and in some of the many activities. We look forward to getting to know you. st stephen st julian st albans
St. Stephen’s Church,
Watling Street AL1 2PT
Situated on the junction of St. Stephens Hill and Watling Street, St. Stephen’s is a lively and friendly church.
A brief history
St. Stephen’s is a beautiful old parish church, founded in 948 A.D. The Anglo Saxon building was small, probably divided into two rooms and without a tower. Little remains of this building, but the small window, deep set in rough masonry, just by the door to the Parish Centre has been dated to around 950 A.D. The building today is largely medieval, but it was sympathetically restored from a near ruinous condition in the 1860s. The spire, replacing a “Hertfordshire spike” on the tower, dates from this time. The pews and ornamental woodwork are Victorian, and the attractive pulpit and canopy date from 1936. The eagle lectern is a copy of a much earlier famous one which until recently stood in its place. There is a leaflet in the church giving details of the history of the early much travelled and plundered lectern.
There is more on the history page.
The ancient building has seen many changes in worship styles over the centuries and today the peaceful ambience, sense of history and continuity still inspire people to worship, as they have done for many centuries.
A warm, tranquil and welcoming atmosphere is immediately apparent, even as the church resounds to today’s modern worship.
Attached to the church are hall, kitchen and meeting room, all well used by a variety of church and community groups.
The Church aims to cater for the spiritual needs of all ages from babes in arms to senior citizens. More details about what we do can be found on this site – in particular, on the Service Times and News & Events pages.
Buses 321, 621, 724 and S8 stop near the Church: the SMS code for the bus stop is hrtatwpt. There is a car park at the Church.
St. Julian’s Church,
3 Abbot’s Avenue AL1 2HY
Based in Sopwell within the Cottonmill Estate, St. Julian’s Church provides a friendly and modern space for worship.
A brief history
St. Julian’s started life in 1952, initially in a wartime Nissen hut which had stood in fields as part of an anti-aircraft searchlight emplacement. It was founded to serve the large Cottonmill housing development then going up around it. The name relates to a former leper hospital which once stood near St. Stephen’s. The present building dates from 1956, and was partly paid for by individual community subscriptions of 6d (just over 2p).
The church was built as a daughter church, to be the responsibility of St. Stephen’s. In practice, however, St. Julian’s largely runs its own affairs.
The dual-purpose building allows either church or hall to “expand” as necessary for a particular event. It provides a well-equipped focal point for the spiritual and secular needs of the community. A highlight is the group of figures over the altar, created by Siegfried Pietsch (who worked with the Faith Craft organisation, based at one time in the Abbey Mill in St. Albans).
A recent extension project, completed in the Spring of 2010 and formally opened by Bishop Alan, made the building even more user-friendly.
The clergy at both churches share duties throughout the parish, work closely together and run many joint activities. The Church aims to cater for the spiritual needs of all ages from babes in arms to senior citizens. More details about what we do can be found on this site – in particular, on the Service Times and News & Events pages.
Buses on route S4 from the City Centre (St. Peter’s Street) stop at the Church: the SMS code for the bus stop is hrtawpta. St. Julian’s has a car park.
At the end of November 2012 the “Community Cafe @ St. Julian’s” started up, running every Thursday except those immediately around Christmas and Easter between 10:30 am and 2:30pm. This offers a chance for people to drop in and chat or relax over a coffee, a piece of home-made cake or light refreshments like soup and a filled jacket potato. Lap-top computers and free wifi is available: computer assistance can be booked. Like the Luncheon Club at St. Stephen’s, its Food Hygiene Rating is 5 stars, awarded by the City and District Council. This is as good as it gets!